Application deadline extended to April 3rd Summer STEM 2020 NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 3RD WHAT DO YOU NEED TO APPLY? Essay Report Card Contact info for recommendation letter Summer STEM offers design and engineering classes for current 9th, 10th and 11th graders at The Cooper Union School of Engineering at 41 Cooper Square in the East Village. For 9th Graders: Human- Centered Design in the Makerspace Smart Technology and Urban Agriculture Three Week Session 1: July 6 - 23, 2020 Three Week Session 2: August 3 - 20, 2020 For 10th and 11th Graders: Race car Design for Engineering Experimentation Transportation infrastructure of New York City Digital Electronics for the Inventor Developing Alternative Fuels to Help Solve the Global Energy Crisis Biotech for Good: Isolating plastic eating microbes for bioremediation of waste Sustainable Energy and Green Technology Six Week Session: July 6 - August 13, 2020 Summer STEM 2020 Information Summer STEM Application Daily Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm Cost:Three week session: $2000, Six week session: $3650 Full and half tuition scholarships and application fee waivers are available. Questions? Email: [email protected] Warm regards, Elizabeth Waters Associate Director of STEM Outreach Albert Nerken School of Engineering The Cooper Union 41 Cooper Square New York, NY 10003 http://cooper.edu/STEM
Hello everyone just writing to once again check in with everyone! I hope everyone continues to be well during this epidemic. I am once again writing to remind everyone that Summer Camp is still scheduled to take place this summer. Summer Camp is the highlight of the scouting year. We are one of the few Troops in the city that goes for two weeks. This sets us apart from other Troops and lets us as a Troop do more advanced trips like Sea Base and Northern Tier. The troop will be camping at Aquehonga from August 2nd until the 15th. Camperships are available to those who need it. Please send me an email if you are planning on attending camp for one or two weeks. If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to me. As always, if anybody needs any help during these times, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. Speak to you soon!
If you believe that you have been adversely affect by the Covid19 Virus, National as given Council (GNYC) the ability to extend you application through September 2020. Here the process:
These extensions are reviewed case by case, and not all Scouts will qualify. To get an extension through a local council, Scouts must meet the following requirements:
- can be established that COVID-19 disruptions were the only circumstances that delayed work on Eagle Scout/Summit/Quartermaster advancement requirements, such as the service project or merit badges. If any other causes were involved, the extension request must go to the National Council following the process outlined in the Guide to Advancement.
- Extensions shall only be granted to youth in Scouts BSA who have already achieved Life rank.
- When the council receives a COVID-19-related request for a time extension, the council reviews the request and approves it if appropriate. A written response stating the outcome of the extension request must go to the youth. If approved, the notification must be attached to the youth’s Eagle/Summit/Quartermaster rank application.
- For Eagle, the extension must not exceed 3 months from the youth’s 18th birthday; for Summit/Quartermaster, the extension must not exceed 3 months from the youth’s 21st.
- Upon turning 18, the Scout must submit a completed adult application and successfully complete Youth Protection training. Their participant code will now be UP for SBSA or VP for Venturing and Sea Scouting.
- Extension requests for more than 3 months beyond the youth’s 18th/21st birthday must be sent to the National Service Center following the process outlined in the GTA.
Here is the whole article if you would like to read it. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2020/03/25/advancement-during-covid-19-official-details-about-eagle-extensions-and-more/?fbclid=IwAR3hESq5Gb9jbZlfKdUd_Rp_lXs68xF8kZe2yIVN56XhrjQWa3iCuxUVMco
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well, staying safe and healthy. Just because we aren’t meeting for awhile and that it seems as if Scouting is on hold, your sons can still do advancement as well as Scouting Activities at home.
There is a great post by our Assistant Scoutmaster, Andrew Vannata on Facebook about advancement. He posted the meritbadges your son can work on with leaders from our Troop. https://www.facebook.com/Troop106MiddleVillage/
Our Troop is part of one of the three districts that comprise Queens Scouting. Our district is Pathfinder District. Alot of information, about advancement and activities is being posted on the Pathfinder District Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/PathfinderDistrict/
If you need information about the requirements for a mertibadge you can go to:
http://usscouts.org/mb/mbindex.asp (Old Mertibadge.Org Site)
Please if you have any questions, comments or concerns, reach out to either any of the the Troop leaders for guidance.
Hello everyone just writing to check in with everyone! I hope everyone is doing well during these trying times. As you know, all troop meetings, activities, events, and camping trips are suspended until further notice. With that said, Summer Camp is still scheduled to take place. The troop will be camping at Aquehonga from August 2nd until the 15th. A $45 deposit per person per week is due to the council by March 31st! Please send me an email if you are planning on attending camp and a check for either $45 for one week or $90 for two weeks. If you have any questions or concerns with the money, please speak to me. As always, if anybody needs any help during these times, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. Speak to you soon!
Our Assistant Scoutmaster, Andrew Vannata posted this on Facebook. I am reposting it here for those of you who don’t have Facebook.
While meetings are cancelled indefinitely and most of your boys are housebound it is a perfect time for them to keep busy by working on merit badges. The higher ranks (Star and above) require a certain # of merit badges to be completed in order to achieve the rank. Packets for these merit badges can be found online. We have merit badge counselors for the following badges:
Citizenship in the community
Citizenship in the Nation
Citizenship in the world
Contact Anthony Zalak
Contact Kenny Ash or John Coppa
Contact Anthony Zalak or John Mohr
Contact Andrew Vannata
contact John Coppa
Electives… 21 badges are required for Eagle which leaves room for elective badges
American business/John Coppa
Indian Lore/Andrew Vannata
Digital tech and programming/John Mohr
Please keep in mind that in keeping with youth protection standards we cannot have direct communication with the boys without the parent being a part of the text/call. We are working on a system perhaps using Skype to keep advancements moving along during this extraordinary situation. More info to follow, but in the mean time the boys can download the packets, and start work on the written questions, study for the oral questions, or work on the projects/regimens/tasks required for said badges. We will be in touch.
Anyone interested in Family life, cooking, emergency preparedness, or Indian lore that has questions can contact me Andrew Vannata at [email protected] Once again please do not have your boys contact me without CCing you on the conversation.
Once again we are working on keeping the scouting program moving and utilizing unconventional venues to do so. Stay safe and be well.
Assistant Scout Master
|Scout Leaders, Parents and Friends of Scouting: As a leadership organization, we want to do our best to assist with any potential spread of Coronavirus and keep our Scouting family and community healthy. We are following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), New York State Department of Health, New Jersey Department of Health and local and state government and agencies. Volunteer Service Center Operations:Beginning Monday, March 16 the Greater New York Council Staff began to operate remotely. Our staff will continue their dedicated work and will be available via email and phone for questions, needs, and service to you. Click here to contact our dedicated professionals. To enhance your ability to communicate with the council staff, we have enabled a chat option on our council website, [nycscouting.org]nycscouting.org, where you can ask questions Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Our team, when available, will answer your question or find an answer for you. Scout Shops:The Award Center at our Scout Office, Scout Shop at Alpine Scout Camp and Scout Shop at William H. Pouch Scout Camp are closed. We recognize that Scouting will continue and there may be individuals, or units that require Scouting equipment or outdoor gear. By sending an e-mail to [email protected] with a supply request, our team will communicate with you by phone about your order, package your order and send to you by mail. Camps:On March 16, Bergen County, where Alpine Scout Camp is located, issued an emergency executive order which effectively closed the operation of Alpine Scout Camp. On March 16, the executive committee for the Greater New York Councils, voted to temporarily close Alpine Scout Camp, William H. Pouch Scout Camp and Ten Mile River Scout Camps for the health and safety of our Scouts, staff and the community. As the situation changes daily, the camping team is offering to move unit and outside group reservations, that are scheduled between March 17 and April 30, to a later date in 2020, a date in 2021 or offer a refund of fees paid. Requests for a date transfer or for a refund should be sent to [email protected]. Individual camper deposits for summer camp are due by March 31. The deadline remains in place and is vital to providing a safe and enjoyable summer camp experience. The camper deposit has been considered non-refundable. For 2020 summer camps, we will consider the camper deposit as refundable if the Department of Health mandates the closure of summer camps. These deposits represent critical information so we can prepare summer camp staffing levels and order the required program supplies. Unit/District/Council Meetings and Events:All in-person Scouting activities are canceled effective immediately. This includes unit meetings (including patrol and den meetings), campouts, activities, trips, Pinewood Derbies, Blue and Gold Dinners, Court of Honors (including for Eagle Scouts), etc. There are no exceptions to this rule. Please continue to work with your Scouts via digital and electronic methods. All in-person council-level and district-level events and meetings are canceled. This includes Roundtable, training events and committee meetings. Please use all digital and electronic means available to conduct your meetings.If you have questions about District or Council events happening in your area please contact your District Professional. For unit meetings, please continue to work directly with your unit leadership and charter organization. Everyday Preventive Measures:Even with those important policies in place, it is critical that we all take these everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:Stay home when you feel sick.Avoid close contact with people who are sick.Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth, and wash your hands before and after doing so. Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve/elbow, not your hands.Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe. Do not share personal items such as cups, water bottles, eating utensils, etc.Avoid shaking hands.Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.If you have a fever, cough, or other symptoms associated with COVID-19, or if you believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you should isolate and not attend any Scouting events. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.The safety of our Scouts, Leaders, Parents, and Staff is our number one priority. Thank you for your leadership and dedication to helping keep our community safe.|
|Yours in Scouting,|
|Ethan DraddyScout ExecutiveGreater New York Councils|
Hello, I hope everyone is well and staying safe and clam during this epidemic. I am writing to inform you that as of today, March 17th all troop meeting, events, activities, and camp outs are cancelled until further notice. These are very trying times and uncharted waters that we are going through. If anybody needs anything, or has any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I am here for you! I will keep you posted with any updates as they become available. Be safe everyone.
On March 13 I posted a link to the Summer Camp Camperships. Additionally, the deposit, for the Early Bird, needs to be in by the end of March. I contacted GNYC and asked if Summer Camp is cancelled by NYS Department of Health will refunds be issued to everyone. Their answer was YES!
I know with the current events you might be skeptical about sending you son to summer camp this year and that’s totally understandable. However, Summer Camp, for GNYC is a huge undertaking. Hiring staff, ordering food for 6-8 camping weeks, supplies, etc. All this requires upfront cash. If your issue is financial, as to whether or not you’d get your money back if the camp is closed; you have an answer.
If your decision as to whether or not you should send your son to summer camp is health related, I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful at this time and that decision is your alone.
Please reach out to Anthony or me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.
Good Afternoon Everyone! As expected I received a call from Blue Mountain and they are closing the lodge for the next several weeks do to the fact that the caretakers daughter goes to a school in which someone had the Corona Virus. We will look to reschedule the trip in the near future. With that said there is no meeting tonight and I will keep everyone informed about the meeting going forward. Please be safe and as always if anybody needs anything please let me know. Have a great weekend everybody!